Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thanksgiving Dinner

A couple of weeks ago, out of the middle of no where, my fiance announced that my mother-in-law (MIL) would be joining us for Thanksgiving.
Okay.
What's the big deal? I wasn't really expecting to have a Thanksgiving meal at our apartment, but I can scrounge something to put together. I know! I'll get one of those banquet turkey dinner deals. It's not very original, but I'm not a gourmet cook (Seriously, my idea of a meal is milk and cereal). I'm sure my MIL will complain her way through it with her usual comments:
"I see you spent a long time on this boxed meal."
 "No wonder my son is so thin, if this is how you cook."
"The least you could have done is actually MAKE something."
"This is turkey is too hot/cold/spicy/bland/messy/mashed/smushed/clumpy/lump, and the mashed potatoes are too hot/cold/spicy/bland/messy/mashed/smushed/clumpy/lumpy"

Once again, okay. I've gone through meals like that before, and usually can laugh off her comments with some semi-catty comebacks. However, my fiance throws one more curveball into the mix.

"No, not our dinner, the dinner at your parents' house."

My reaction: "WHAT!?!?! NO. NO. NO!!!"
Him: "She doesn't have anyplace to go this year." Which is actually a lie. The story is that my (future) father-in-law is having surgery and will be in the hospital. For some unfathomable reason, my MIL decided that meant that she got to invite herself along to Thanksgiving dinner at her sons' in-laws. Umm..no? Not only would that mean a possibly awkward dinner (My parents are much more subdued than my fiance's parents. Seriously. I thought they were pretty out there growing up. NOPE! They are plain and quiet as can be, thank God). I also would have to sit through a (count it) 90 minute car ride. No thank you.

We'll have to see how this goes. Thanksgiving is quickly approaching.

(wish me luck) 
C.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment